As cuddly as a cactus, and as charming as an eel, our matcha Grinch cookies are a dazzling treat for your holiday gatherings. Whether you make this recipe for the class celebration or a yuletide buffet, these cute little guys are sure to be a hit.
We love infusing our recipes with good-for-us ingredients. Matcha green tea powder is loaded with antioxidants, so you literally get to have your tea and eat it too!
If it’s a Grinch theme you’re after, serve your fresh batch of Grinch cookies alongside our festive Grinch punch!
Matcha Grinch Cookies Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- green food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- 1/4 cup white icing
- black icing
- red hots
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined.
- Stir baking powder, salt, matcha powder and flour together in separate bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients with creamed ingredients and mix until smooth. Place dough onto cookie sheet and press flat, then let rest for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Roll out dough to ¼" thickness on lightly floured surface and cut cookies with cookie cutter.
- Arrange on cookie sheet 2" apart. Make a small pinch at the top of each cookie where the hair will stick up and narrow the sides a bit for the cheeks if you like. Bake for 10–15 minutes, until edges start to brown. Place cookies onto cooling rack.
- Mix powdered sugar, water, butter and corn syrup together until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if icing is too runny. Add one drop green food coloring and one drop yellow food coloring and mix well.
- Dip the top of each cookie into the bowl of icing, letting the excess icing drip over the sides of the cookie. Let the icing set.
- Put white icing in small storage bag and cut a tiny hole in one corner. Using your favorite Grinch picture as a guide, start by making the whites of the eyes with the bag of icing. Attach a red hot to each eye.
- Finish each cookie with the black icing by drawing the nose, mouth, crow’s feet, hair and an iris in each eye.
One Last Thing