Chocolate Reindeer Cupcakes
Chocolate cupcakes are such a household favorite that we decided to ramp up the holiday season with a fresh batch of our chocolate reindeer cupcakes. Whether they’re for a ‘tis the season’ class party or a treat for Santa, this recipe is a smash hit all around.
This recipe is for all the busy families out there, so we opted in a few shortcuts (yahoo!). We used chocolate cake mix to prepare the cupcakes, and the rest is simple assembly. Assembly is always a fun activity for the kids and with your adult friends too!
If you prefer to make your cupcakes from scratch, hop on over to our salted caramel chocolate cupcakes recipe and swipe the batter and baking instructions from there. We like having choices!
Chocolate Reindeer Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 package chocolate frosting
- 1 10 oz bag chocolate melting wafers
- 1 package thin pretzel twists, cut in half
- 1 jar chocolate sugar
- 1 box mini vanilla wafers
- 1 package candy, containing red candies (M&M’s, Skittles, etc.)
- 1 package candy eyes
- Follow cake mix instructions to bake 24 cupcakes then cool cupcakes completely.
- While cupcakes are baking, heat 2" water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Place a heatproof bowl over the water. The bowl should not touch the water. Add chocolate wafers to bowl then stir until melted and completely smooth. Place a parchment-lined baking pan next to melted chocolate, then dip pretzel ‘antlers’ in chocolate and transfer to baking pan. Set aside.
- When cupcakes are cool, frost with chocolate frosting. Place chocolate sugar on a small plate then dip frosted side of cupcake in sugar to cover completely. Set aside.
- Line up 24 mini wafer cookies and 24 red candies. Using a toothpick or tip of a pairing knife, dab a bit of frosting on a candy then attach to a wafer cookie a bit below the center. Frost the back of the wafer cookie then attach the ‘nose’ to the cupcake.
- Dab frosting to back of each eye and attach. Then insert pretzel antlers and serve.