Our paint stick Christmas tree is easy to make and super inexpensive. Our printable, advanced strength round double-sided adhesive and paint sticks from your local improvement store will have this craft ready for hanging in no time.
We used extra long stir sticks, sometimes called ‘paint paddles,’ to create this project. They’re just the right size to create a more impressive display than if we had used short paint sticks.
Although we’re partial to our unique patterns with inspirational words, you can skip the printer altogether and make your own with variations of green scrapbook paper. Grab your decoupage glue and assemble. Done!
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Paint stick Christmas tree instructions
- paint stick Christmas tree printable
- 5 – 21″ x 1/4″ x 1 3/8″ paint sticks
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD1NF/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0000DD1NF&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=IUJMNI342CHOLTMQ” target=”_blank” title=”Razor Saw”]razor saw[/url]
- green and white craft or spray paint
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KRSWM6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005KRSWM6&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=K63S3737ENZWW4LV” target=”_blank” title=”Precision knife”]precision knife[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IKES5O/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001IKES5O&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=BLHFWGKM47YLCUCY” target=”_blank” title=”Decoupage glue”]decoupage glue[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K7OM10/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001K7OM10&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=UU24JU3VRYJLKQSL” target=”_blank” title=”Wooden Star”]3.5″ wooden star[/url]
- jingle bells (optional)
- wood glue
- Start by cutting off the handle-end of each stick using a razor saw. Two sticks should measure 17″ long and the remaining sticks should measure 16″, 13″, 11″ and 7″. Paint all sticks green and the star white. Allow them to dry then sand the edges of the star for a distressed look.
- Download the [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/paint-stick-christmas-tree-cherylstyle-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Paint Stick Christmas Tree Printable”]paint stick Christmas tree printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Print and cut out the designs where indicated. Adhere the cutouts onto the appropriate length stick using decoupage glue and allow them to dry.
- Once dry, flip over and cut off excess paper using a precision knife.
- Make the ‘trunk’ by placing the plain, painted 17″ stick in a vertical position on your work surface. Space the remaining sticks one inch apart from one another horizontally, starting with the longest stick at the bottom and ending with the shortest stick at the top. Use wood glue to adhere to the trunk.
- Make a hanger by looping twine then glue or staple it in place on the backside of the tree. Glue the star in place at the top. If desired, add bells using twine then hang.