This whoopie pie cake recipe makes for a perfect bake sale contribution! It also makes a great last minute dessert because you don’t need much time to prep and the results are terrific. And besides, one large cake is so much easier than making 20 individual whoopie pies!
This cake is so easy to put together. Simply remove the cakes from the pans then peel the parchment paper off of the bottoms. Place the first cake upside down on a cake plate then plop the filling down in the center and spread evenly toward the edges. Carefully place the second cake on top of the filling right side up then press gently into position.
Cut the whoopie pie cake into even slices and serve immediately. Mmmmm, so tasty!
Whoopie Pie Cake Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 stick unsalted butter 1/2 cup, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter 1 cup, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp milk or heavy cream
let's do it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of 2 − 9" round cake pans with parchment paper, spray lightly with cooking spray then set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well incorporated.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into separate bowl.
- Add half of flour mixture and half of milk to butter mixture and mix until just incorporated. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans and bake 25−30 minutes, until center springs back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely in pans on a cooling rack.
- Prepare filling while cakes are cooling by whipping butter and powdered sugar until completely incorporated and no lumps remain. Add marshmallow fluff and whip until incorporated. Add vanilla, salt and milk, whip until light and fluffy (2−3 minutes).
- Remove cooled cakes from pans and remove parchment. Place first cake upside down on cake plate. Place all filling in center of bottom cake and spread evenly toward edges with an angled spatula or butter knife. Place top cake carefully (right side up) on filling, press gently into position.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
One Last Thing