Save loads of calories by skipping the starchier sides and serving baked zucchini instead. Our baked recipe makes a filling side dish that’s not only tasty like a veggie pizza, but also has great health benefits. It’s your chance to sneak a little fiber and vitamin C into the kids’ diet!
You’ll need three ripe zucchinis for this recipe. Choose those that are nearly firm, uniformly green in color and not too long. You’re not looking for the county fair winner—just a few that are 6-8 inches long. Our baked zucchini with panko is one dish you’ll be happy to serve second helpings of.
Italian-Style Baked Zucchini
what you'll need
- 3 zucchini rinsed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup panko or homemade breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place zucchini on baking pan skin side down and brush with olive oil.
- Mix panko, garlic salt, oregano and Parmesan cheese in bowl.
- Sprinkle panko or breadcrumbs mixture over the zucchini.
- Spread sliced cherry tomatoes on top of the zucchini.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned.