Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
Granola bars are a great everyday snack due to their natural grab-n-go nature! A lot of granola bars on the market are packed full of unnecessary refined sugars that can actually do more harm than good. That’s why we came up with this recipe for healthy homemade granola bars that are quick and easy to whip up and are packed full of fiber. The best part? This recipe is completely customizable so you’re able to add in your go-to granola bar fixings. No matter how you make them, they’re sure to be a crowd-pleasing snack – even for the kiddos!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Refined Sugar-Free Free
These healthy homemade granola bars are refined sugar-free. They’re sweetened with maple syrup, which is high in antioxidants and full of nutrients like zinc, magnesium, calcium, riboflavin, and potassium.
Refined sugar, on the other hand, is derived from sugar cane or sugar beets. These are processed to extract the sugar that is then turned into the white and brown sugars that we typically use in baking.
Natural sweeteners, like maple syrup, are processed better by the body. They break down more slowly, helping you to feel full faster and therefore consume less overall calories. Refined sugars, like white and brown sugar, are processed quickly, which causes insulin and blood sugar levels to skyrocket and doesn’t contribute to the feeling of fullness. This will lead to you consuming more overall calories for the same “full” feeling.
Health Benefits of Oats
Oats are also at the heart of this recipe. This ancient grain boasts a lot of health benefits including weight loss, a lower risk of heart disease, and lower blood sugar levels. This is because oats are full of antioxidants, fiber, and have more protein and healthy fats than most other grains.
Healthy Homemade Granola Bars Recipe Tips
- Use dairy-free milk for a vegan version of this recipe.
- Add in the chocolate chips before baking for another way to use the chocolate.
- Customize the recipe by changing the nut butter and adding different ingredients such as dried fruit and nuts. The possibilities are endless!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter, or nut butter of choice
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- refined sugar-free chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, almond butter, milk, and vanilla until smooth
- In another bowl, whisk together the oats, chia seed, almond flour, and flax seed. Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture until completely combined and the oats have soaked up a lot of the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- After the bars are cooled, drizzle melted chocolate over the top if desired.