Don’t let the cooking time on this American goulash recipe fool you; most of it is spent simmering away, unattended! The actual hands-on time is quick and super simple.
It’s even better the next day, so make lots. It’ll freeze and keep well for up to a month.
Need to feed a hungry crowd? Don’t be afraid to add a bit of frozen corn or green beans to really stretch out this dish. We used diced tomatoes with oregano and basil but if you can only find a can of regular diced tomatoes, it’s fine. All you have to do is double up on the dried herbs. The flavor will be just as great!
The pasta cooks right into the sauce and its starch thickens up the broth while absorbing excess moisture. This makes for a thick, rich and bold stew.
American goulash recipe
what you'll need
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes with oregano and basil diced
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp beef bouillon
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup elbow macaroni uncooked
- salt and black pepper to taste
- shredded cheese for serving
let's do it
- Place a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Brown the ground beef, breaking the meat up as it cooks for about 10 minutes or until no pink remains.
- Drain off any excess grease, return to heat and add onions, bell pepper and garlic. Cook for an additional 6–7 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the bell pepper begins to soften.
- Stir in tomato juice, tomato sauce, can of diced tomatoes (don’t drain it!), Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon, oregano and basil and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and stir to combine. Replace the lid and simmer, covered over low heat for about 25 minutes until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and serve with plenty of shredded cheese on top. Enjoy!