Arugula Salad with Pomegranate
Take a break from cold-weather comfort foods and eat something fresh, light and bright. Our arugula salad has pomegranate seeds, walnuts and oranges tossed in a light and delicious orange vinaigrette!
Oranges and pomegranates are in season all winter long, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding these ripe, sweet and juicy ingredients. Paired with the greenest, most crisp arugula and tangy vinaigrette dressing, you’ll wish you could find fresh pomegranate year-round!
This salad can be served individually or tossed right at the table. Either way, make sure to dress this baby right before you eat it—this way, the greens won’t wilt. If you’re taking this salad to go for lunch, just pack the salad and the dressing in separate containers.
Arugula Salad with Pomegranate Recipe
- 2 tsp shallot, finely minced, or red onion
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp oil
- pepper, to taste
- 5 oz bag baby arugula
- 3 oranges
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, add finely minced shallot or onion and vinegar. Let shallot marinate in the vinegar for 10 minutes to mellow the harsh onion flavor while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- Cut the top and bottom from oranges then remove peel using a paring knife. Remove as much of the white pith as possible without taking too much of the flesh. Cut orange into ¼" slices and then cut slices in half and set aside.
- Finish the orange vinaigrette by adding Dijon mustard, salt, orange marmalade and orange juice to the vinegar/shallot mixture. Whisk to combine then continue to whisk while slowly drizzling in the olive oil. Once the dressing has formed an emulsion, give it a taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Assemble salad on a serving plate or bowl by layering the arugula with the orange slices, pomegranate and toasted walnuts. Drizzle the dressing lightly over the salad, sprinkle with a sprinkling of coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper, serve immediately and enjoy!