Our Asiago cheese scones recipe is so easy to make and diversely enjoyed, they can be prepared as a snack, appetizer or side dish!
We chose Asiago cheese because of its similarities to Parmesan with a little more punch, then we added thyme, black pepper and a sprinkle of salt for a unique and savory result.
This recipe is made from start to finish in under an hour, and these scones taste so good your friends and family will think you’ve been hiding your professional baking skills all these years! We know from experience, because the scones got gobbled up in the test kitchen—we have no doubt the same will happen at your house.
Our Asiago cheese scones are great served alongside a hot cup of tea, with a hearty bowl of soup or on the buffet at a potluck!
Asiago Cheese Scones Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ¾ tsp dried thyme leaves
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup Asiago cheese grated, plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder and thyme together in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Add cold butter cubes then use a pastry cutter to cut butter into flour until slightly smaller than the size of peas.
- Add grated Asiago cheese to the flour and butter mixture then stir to combine. Mix half-and-half or milk together with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Stir by hand just until combined and no dry spots of flour remain. The dough will be fairly sticky.
- Scoop by heaping tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet, spacing at least 2" apart. If you would like the scones to be a bit more golden brown, brush top of each with a bit of extra half-and-half or a beaten egg yolk.
- Sprinkle the tops with a bit more Asiago cheese then bake 18–20 minutes until golden brown and firm in the center. Remove from oven then brush with melted butter. Serve piping hot and enjoy!