Asparagus Fries with Lemon Aioli
Lemon herb aioli is the perfect fresh and bright complement to the savory asparagus fries. Basically, aioli is a sauce that uses mayonnaise as its base; it’s essentially a word for garlicky mayo. And it’s delicious.
Instead of deep-frying, we kept the calorie count low by baking them at a high temperature. This also makes the veggies crisp-tender, not overcooked or limp.
Fresh or dried herbs and lemon make the dip taste amazing and also bring out the flavor of the asparagus and Parmesan. In this recipe, cayenne pepper adds just a tiny bit of spice in the background. It’s not hot and barely noticeable. It just tastes good!
asparagus fries recipe
Egg whites and panko breadcrumbs make our recipe for baked asparagus fries super light and crispy—no heavy breading or oily finish!
Yield: 4 -6 servings
lemon herb aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic, minced, about 1 large clove
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped, or 1/2 dried dill weed
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped, or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, plain
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- Stir all ingredients for lemon herb aioli together in a small bowl until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to allow flavors to combine until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Trim the tough ends from the bottom of the asparagus and set aside. Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper on a large plate or pie pan then add beaten egg whites to a second plate or pie pan.
- Dip each asparagus spear into beaten egg white and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Place in prepared baking dish and repeat with remaining asparagus spears.
- Lightly spray tops of the asparagus with cooking spray and bake for 6–10 minutes depending on thickness of asparagus and desired tenderness. Remove from oven and transfer to serving platter. Serve with lemon herb aioli on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
Be sure to space asparagus as far apart as possible for best browning.
Calories: 179kcal, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 18mg, Sodium: 467mg, Potassium: 269mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!