One-hour broccoli cheese soup—if that isn’t enough to stop you in your tracks, we don’t know what will. A large pot or Dutch oven does the heavy lifting, so you have a hearty, comfort food-style soup in no time!
Because it’s so quick and easy to make, this recipe is great to prepare on the weeknights when you’re in a pinch for time. It’s also a nice game day treat, or when it’s plain ol’ cold outside and you need a hug from the inside out!
This soup is thick, but if you prefer something a little on the lighter side, try adding more broth. You can also kick this recipe up a notch by serving it in bread bowls for a fun presentation.
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if desired
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 lb bag frozen broccoli, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add onion and cook 2–3 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add white wine and cook until the wine is almost completely evaporated.
- Sprinkle onions with flour then use a whisk to stir for about 1 minute. Add chicken broth while whisking constantly and continue whisking until flour is completely incorporated. Add broccoli, half-and-half, salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil stirring frequently, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add Mexican cheese blend to the soup a handful at a time, stirring until melted before adding the next handful. Add sharp cheddar cheese, stir until melted then remove from heat. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and thin the consistency by adding a bit more broth if desired.
Be sure to remove from heat after adding cheese or stir frequently to avoid scorching.