If carbs made us skinny, we’d wither away to nothing. This fabulous low-carb cabbage lasagna recipe is a protein-packed adventure minus all the guilt.
Low-Carb Cabbage Lasagna Recipe
Enjoy a yummy cabbage lasagna recipe by switching lasagna noodles for cabbage to eliminate the carbs and gluten from your favorite Italian dish!
Yield: 8 -10 servings
- 2 medium-sized cabbages
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 28 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 Anaheim pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, or white, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 egg whites
- 1 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut cabbage heads in half and boil for 15-20 minutes until soft. Drain water and chop into 1" squares. Then sauté cabbage for 2-3 minutes to remove excess water. Let cool and wrap cabbage leaves in dishtowel, squeezing out remaining water.
- Brown beef in skillet. When most of the pink is gone, add pepper and onion. Saute 3 more minutes until thoroughly cooked and onion has softened. Add garlic, oregano and basil and cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg white into crushed tomatoes. Add to meat mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl mix cheeses together.
- To assemble, double layer cabbage, meat sauce and cheese in greased 9" x 13" pan. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown
Since carbs are my arch nemesis, I'm game for any recipe that allows me to eat my favorite foods sans guilt. Trust me, the kids will never know the difference!
Calories: 420kcal, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 38g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 102mg, Sodium: 535mg, Potassium: 1224mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 12g