It’s vegetarian comfort food at its finest! This cheesy quinoa and broccoli recipe is everything you love about mac and cheese, only without the pasta!
Quinoa has been determined to be one of the healthiest foods in the world! It’s loaded with protein and antioxidants—and a bunch of other great stuff for you that we don’t know how to pronounce. Mix it up with yummy broccoli and this delicious homemade cheese sauce, and you have a meal that will earn you high-fives from everyone at the dinner table!
You will have to cook the ingredients separately—you’ll make the quinoa, steam the broccoli and make the cheese sauce in a separate pan, but once everything is prepared, this meal comes together in a snap! We can’t wait for you to try it.
Cheesy Quinoa and Broccoli Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small head broccoli cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, or Monterey Jack or Mexican blend
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
let's do it
- Place rack in center of oven then preheat to 350 degrees. Coat a 2-qt casserole dish with cooking spray then set aside. Add uncooked quinoa, water and ½ tsp salt to a medium saucepan then place over high heat. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover then let simmer for 15–20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl with 2 Tbsp of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 3-4 minutes until the broccoli starts to become tender. Remove from microwave, drain excess water then set aside.
- While quinoa and broccoli are cooking, place a separate saucepan over medium heat and melt butter. Add onions and ¼ tsp salt then cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onions become translucent.
- Add flour, stir until dissolved then cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and stir until no lumps of flour remain. Stir in salt, garlic powder and paprika then bring to a boil. Reduce heat then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese in increments, stirring after each addition until completely melted before adding the next. When the cheese is incorporated and the sauce is smooth, remove from heat then stir in the quinoa and broccoli.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish and bake 20–25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!