Prepare an elegant meal in a pinch with our creamy shrimp and mushroom pasta recipe! Who can argue with succulent shrimp, juicy mushrooms, savory garlic, fresh basil and all the right seasonings?
We used a little cream cheese in the sauce but mellowed it out with white wine to make it not so dense. We want you to feel satisfied, but not like you’d sink to the bottom of the Atlantic after!
You can use spaghetti, linguine or any other kind of noodle that suits your fancy. These days, you can find wonderful einkorn spaghetti and plenty of gluten-free pasta varieties so everyone in your tribe can enjoy this dish.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- 1/2 lb spaghetti, or linguine, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth, plus extra if necessary
- 1 lb shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 zest of lemon
- salt and red pepper flakes, to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta then cook until tender but still firm, according to the directions on the package. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium-high heat then melt butter. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes until they have released their liquid and become a dark golden brown.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add wine, bring to a rapid boil then cook about 3–4 minutes until the wine is nearly evaporated. Add chicken broth and raw shrimp and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low then add cream cheese chunks and stir until completely melted. Continue to heat until sauce is hot and shrimp is just cooked through. Stir in basil and lemon zest and toss with cooked pasta.
- Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes. Thin the sauce with a bit of extra chicken broth if necessary. Serve immediately
Yes, this dish is decadently creamy, but white wine, fresh basil and lemon zest keep this dish on the lighter side.