What’s better than traditional banana bread, you ask? Double chocolate banana bread, we say! This recipe is like nothing you’ve tasted before. It can be enjoyed as a decadent breakfast or as a dashing dessert.
First and foremost, we learned in the test kitchen that this bread likes to stick. Therefore, make sure to diligently prep your baking pan. You’ll also want to mash the bananas until they’re chunky but not liquefied. Otherwise, you’ll have a soggy layer at the bottom of your loaf.
The results are moist, gooey and chocolaty. Serve a slice with ice-cold milk, a craft coffee or a nice red wine for dessert.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large loaf pan and dust with a few teaspoons of cocoa and set aside. Alternately, you could use flour to coat the pan or line with parchment paper. This bread will stick, so be thorough.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, add eggs and beat on high speed while adding the sugar in gradually. Beat for about 2–3 minutes until the mixture is pale yellow and has a thick, creamy consistency. Add oil, applesauce and mashed bananas and mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold gently by hand until completely combined. Fold in chocolate chips then pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 70–80 minutes or until firm in the center and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes before turning the bread out of the pan and cooling completely on the rack.
- Once bread is cool, add 1/2 cup chocolate chips, cream and honey to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20 seconds. Remove and allow to sit undisturbed for 30 seconds before stirring. Stir until smooth and glossy. If all of the chocolate chips do not melt, place the mixture back into the microwave in 10 second intervals until everything is melted, but do not overheat or the mixture will become grainy.
- Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the bread then sprinkle mini chocolate chips over wet glaze. Allow to set for 5 minutes then slice and serve.
If you like this recipe, we also have a fabulous chocolate peanut butter banana bread recipe!