In a rut when it comes to chicken for dinner? Easy stuffed chicken, filled with fresh basil, smoked cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, is a dish that’s packed with flavor, looks elegant and is simple to make.
We like using Gouda for its sweet and fruity flavor but smoked mozzarella can be used instead. Make a ‘pocket’ in each chicken breast for this delicious blend of ingredients by cutting a small slit into the thickest portion of the breast.
Adding a thin coat of breadcrumbs on the top and sides of each breast gives it a bit of crunch with every bite. Because it’s baked and not fried there’s no need to bread the bottom. Otherwise it would get soggy.
Easy Stuffed Chicken with Basil Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup smoked Gouda cheese shredded, or smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup basil leaves chopped
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 3-4 sun-dried tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Coat pan lightly with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the smoked cheese, chopped basil, Parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic until well combined.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1" slit horizontally through the thickest portion of each chicken breast. Insert your finger to open up a pocket inside the chicken. Fill each pocket with approximately ¼ cup of filling then seal the filling inside with a toothpick.
- Brush tops and sides of each stuffed chicken breast with beaten egg and season with salt and pepper. Dust the egg-coated areas in seasoned breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle each stuffed breast with melted butter or spray with cooking spray. Bake 30–35 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is completely cooked through. Total cooking time will depend upon thickness of chicken breasts.
- Remove from oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!