Einkorn Sweet Potato Latkes
What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
Latkes, or potato pancakes, are a familiar dish Jewish people serve on Hanukkah, but we like to eat these babies year round! We used an ancient wheat called einkorn so even people with a wheat sensitivity can enjoy them. Don’t have einkorn flour? No biggie! You can make sweet potato latkes using traditional all-purpose flour.
Latkes are a versatile dish because you can eat them riding sidecar to your favorite savory meat, for breakfast with a fried egg on top or even as a main meal if you’re a vegetarian!
If you really have an objection to eating fried food, you can always bake these delicious discs in a 400 degrees oven for 15–20 minutes—just remember to spritz them with oil to make them crispy. They’ll still taste great and you won’t feel guilty!
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Einkorn Sweet Potato Latkes Recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated (approx. 5 cups)
- 1 small onion, grated (approx. 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose einkorn flour, 1.125 oz
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- coconut oil, for frying
- Combine sweet potatoes and onion in mixing bowl. Using a lint-free kitchen towel, place half of the mixture in center of towel, twist to compress the potatoes and wring as much liquid as possible from the mixture. Place in a large mixing bowl and repeat with remaining mixture.
- Sprinkle flour over potatoes; lightly toss to coat. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Add lightly beaten eggs; stir to combine. NOTE: We strongly recommend you weigh your einkorn flour, if possible, for better accuracy. If you don’t have a scale, fluff the flour with a fork before you measure it in a cup.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Form patties using approximately ¼ cup of mixture. Fry 2−3 minutes per side until brown and crispy.
- Place on paper towel-lined tray; blot to remove excess oil and lightly season with salt.
- Serve while hot and crispy.