Einkorn Wheat Berry Breakfast Bowl Video
What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
There are plenty more breakfast grains to enjoy beyond oatmeal. Einkorn wheat berries have a divine, nutty flavor and a slightly chewier texture. Heat them up with some of our favorite morning fruit like bananas and blueberries, and you have our homemade einkorn wheat berry breakfast bowl! You can also use traditional wheat berries with this recipe.
Your palate will literally go B-A-N-A-N-A-S over the sweet and savory vibes. The butter and brown sugar mixed with wheat berries and fruits yield a wholesome, hearty breakfast cereal that will tame your appetite until it’s time for your next meal.
While the results taste too good to be true, rest assured that einkorn wheat berries are good for you. In fact, studies show that einkorn is a nutritional powerhouse. You can also layer them in yogurt parfaits, sprinkle them in a salad or eat plain like rice.
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Einkorn Wheat Berry Breakfast Bowl with Blueberries Recipe
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water, hot
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups einkorn wheat berries, soaked overnight
- salt, to taste
- 1 pint blueberries, washed
- 2 bananas, cut on the diagonal
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- honey, to drizzle
- Heat water in tea kettle or small pan—have it ready to go.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in wheat berries and sauté for 4–5 minutes, until they change color from pale to dark golden brown. Pour in enough water to cover bottom of the pan, add a pinch of salt, cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for 4 minutes.
- Uncover and add blueberries. Cook blueberries 30 seconds to 1 minute to allow them to soften. Transfer mixture to serving bowls.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp butter to the pan over medium-high heat along with the brown sugar. Whisk to combine then add sliced bananas. Cook about 1 minute on the first side until a brown crust begins to form. Flip the slices and cook 30 seconds more. Top the serving bowls with bananas, drizzle with honey and enjoy.
Great recipe for healthy and quick breakfast or lunch. Even, we are using such kind of recipe from a long time as einkorn has never been hybridized. It has a low gluten content. Many people with gluten sensitivities can easily digest einkorn with no allergic effects but it DOES contain some gluten so is NOT suitable for people with Celiac Disease.