Hear the compliments fly when you serve your guests these gooey 6-ingredient Emmental cheese puffs. This recipe has the savory flavor of Emmental cheese, a type of Swiss cheese without the sharp taste.
Pared with the light, fluffy texture of puff pastry, it’s versatile enough to be served as an appetizer, side dish or dessert. Try drizzling honey over these beauties then sprinkling with powdered sugar. You’ll think you’ve died and gone to cheese puff heaven!
Emmental Cheese Puffs Recipe
what you'll need
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups emmental cheese shredded
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring water and ½ cup butter to a rolling boil in large pot. Mix flour and salt and add to pot. Stir with wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball (mix quickly to avoid lumps). After it forms a ball, remove from heat.
- Add dough to stand mixer with beater attachment or food processor and pulse a few times to cool mixture slightly. Beat in eggs, one at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding next egg. Add last egg then quickly add cheese.
- Spoon dough into piping bag with large round tip. Pipe batter on a parchment-lined baking sheet, about 2" in diameter, then place in oven.
- Bake 20-25 minutes then remove from the oven. Cool completely on a rack.
- Drizzle with honey, if desired, and serve.