Hummus is so darn tasty! Unfortunately it can get pretty expensive when you buy it at the store. Make your own at home and experiment with your favorite flavor combinations! Just follow our easy hummus recipe.
If you’re worried about not having a food processor, we have good news! You can whip up your fresh made hummus in a blender. While a food processor is the easiest way to make this recipe, they can be expensive and a blender will work just fine.
For a super smooth hummus, pop the skins off of the garbanzo beans prior to combining the ingredients. You can also experiment with other beans like edamame or white beans.
Feeling adventurous? Try experimenting with your favorite flavors like roasted red peppers, jalapeños, avocados and cilantro!
Homemade Garlic Hummus Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 cans garbanzo beans drained, liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed , approximately 2 lemons
- 1 small clove garlic crushed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt more or less depending how much salt is in beans
- black pepper to taste
- paprika for garnish
let's do it
- Place strainer over medium mixing bowl. Drain garbanzos and reserve liquid, set aside.
- Add tahini, lemon juice and garlic to the bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Pulse tahini, garlic and lemon juice until smooth paste forms. Add garbanzo beans and olive oil, process until most lumps are gone.
- Check consistency of hummus; if too thick, add small amount of reserved liquid from beans. Continue to blend until smooth, adjusting consistency as needed with liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with paprika and serve with warm pita or fresh veggies!