Grilled Brussels Sprouts
This ain’t just any Brussel Sprouts recipe—this is soooo good! Get your kids to eat their veggies with our grilled Brussels sprouts recipe! Follow our simple instructions to achieve a healthy side dish that has lots of flavor and a moderately crispy texture without the charred taste that typically turns off the naysayers.
The trick is to purchase sprouts that are uniform in size to facilitate even cooking. You can also trim and cut the larger ones in half if you purchase them in a bag. Place the Brussels sprouts in foil first on the grill—if they start to char, then transfer them to a bowl and cover ‘em so they can steam until softened.
Although we seasoned our grilled Brussels sprouts with a little olive oil, salt and garlic powder prior to cooking, we opted to add the black pepper after grilling so it wouldn’t burn. The results yield a taste that’s mildly caramel-y and perfectly savory!
Grilled Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Trim stems and outer leaves from Brussels sprouts. Cut larger sprouts in half vertically through the stem. Leave smaller sprouts whole.
- Place Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl then drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat then season with salt and garlic powder and toss once again to distribute seasonings.
- Lay a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 18"–20" long) out then place sprouts in the center. Fold edges to seal Brussels sprouts securely inside.
- Transfer foil packet to the grill then cook for 12–15 minutes until sprouts are just beginning to become tender.
- Coat grill grates with oil, break open foil packet then transfer sprouts directly onto grill. Cook directly on grill for 6–8 minutes, until the sprouts are lightly browned and have reached desired tenderness.
- Remove from grill, season with a bit of pepper and additional salt if necessary and serve right away.