We love grilled cheese sandwiches as much as the next person, but sometimes you want just a little more moxie with your meal. Our Gruyere green apple grilled cheese sandwich with strawberry vinaigrette takes grilled cheese to the next level!
This recipe is a great adult version of the classically beloved sandwich, but we have it on pretty good authority that the kids will happily gobble up this gooey treat as well.
Warm, gooey Gruyere cheese, crisp green apples and sweet tasting strawberry vinaigrette—grilled between two slices of sourdough bread—is the perfect teaser for your palette. Who knew combining these flavors would make your taste buds so happy?
To make the strawberry vinaigrette, combine fresh strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a blender, slowly adding apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
To make the sandwich, place four slices of buttered sourdough bread in a pan over medium heat (or two at a time with a smaller pan).
Divide the apple slices among the four slices of bread, top each with cheese and drizzle with strawberry vinaigrette (the remaining vinaigrette will last up to a week for salads and such). Top your sandwich with buttered bread and cook until browned and crispy. Halve the sandwiches and serve! Gourmet grilled cheese has never been more simple and tasty.
Gruyere Green Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- strawberry vinaigrette
- 1 cup strawberries, tops cut off
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- grilled cheese sandwich
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup strawberry vinaigrette, (see instructions above)
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- To make the strawberry vinaigrette, add strawberries, lemon juice and sugar to a blender and blend thoroughly. Using the hole at top of blender lid, slowly pour in vinegar and olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat skillet on stove over medium heat.
- Butter 8 slices of bread on one side then place bread butter side down in skillet. Place 2-3 sliced apples on top of bread and top with cheese. Drizzle lightly with strawberry vinaigrette.
- Place remaining bread on top, butter side up and continue cooking until brown and crispy. Flip sandwich and continue cooking until other side is brown and crispy.
- Serve with additional strawberry vinaigrette if desired. Enjoy!
Gruyere cheese is so mild—don’t tell your kids the fancy name, just let them dive in!