Get ready to impress your friends and spruce up your tired ol’ sandwich routine by pairing your favorite deli ingredients with freshly baked pretzel buns!
The key to our homemade pretzel bun recipe is patience! It’s not difficult, but the process does take time. Pretzel dough requires mixing ingredients, then letting it sit – mix some more, sit a little longer.
Need ideas on what to pair with your pretzel buns? Try our bacon jalapeno spicy coleslaw recipe with deli pastrami and all the fixins’ for an extra-tasty sandwich. Serve pretzel buns and pretzel bun sandwiches for backyard barbecues, game days, picnics and creative school lunches.
Baked Pretzel Buns Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 cup water 110-115 degrees
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- egg wash
- sea salt
let's do it
- Place sugar, yeast, and water in mixing bowl of stand mixer and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Add milk, melted butter, flour and salt to yeast mixture and slowly mix on low speed until ingredients have combined to form a dough. You don't want to mix too quickly or you will end up with tough bread!
- Remove dough and roll into ball. Add small amount of oil to medium bowl and place dough in bowl. Roll in oil until coated and absorbed. Cover bowl with towel, let rest for 1 hour in warm place (dough should double in size).
- Punch dough down then place onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 8 even pieces then roll into 8 tight dough balls.
- Place on 2 greased baking sheets. Cover with towels and let rest 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring large pot of water to boil, remove from heat and add baking soda (if you add baking soda while pot is still on the burner it will overflow). Return pot to heat and place one dough ball in water. Boil 30 seconds, flip dough ball and boil another 30 seconds then remove. Repeat process until all dough balls have been poached.
- Place dough balls onto baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Score an "x" in each ball using sharp knife. Sprinkle with salt and bake 12-15 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Use rolls to make your favorite sandwich!