Butterscotch sauce is a longtime favorite (some recipes date back to the 1800s!), but many of the store-bought brands come with unwanted additives and preservatives. So, we decided to perfect our homemade recipe.
The best part is, there’s NO high fructose corn syrup in this delicious dip and it tastes just like a Werther’s original candy. Use it as a tasty topping for ice cream or a delectable side with your fruit.
Our butterscotch sauce will keep in the refrigerator for weeks. Make extra and store it for a rainy day.
We’ve tested the recipe time and again to make sure it’s fast to make and easy to follow. You don’t even need a candy thermometer—just a timer.
butterscotch sauce recipe
what you'll need
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or scotch whiskey
let's do it
- Place a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the brown sugar, heavy cream and salt. Whisk until it’s well blended.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the sauce to bubble slowly for 5 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract (or scotch), incorporating completely.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass container with an airtight seal and serve the sauce warm or cold. Enjoy!