The batter for our homemade waffles recipe is easily prepared the night before, so you can be ready to rock and roll when it’s time to make breakfast. Having a go-to waffle recipe that’s so easy to make is a nice ‘ace’ to have in your pocket when it’s time to surprise the kids with a big breakfast.
If you’re making a large batch, transfer cooked waffles to a cooling rack then place in a 200-degree oven so air can circulate around the finished product. This way the waffles will stay crispy (rather than getting limp and soggy) while staying nice and warm!
Homemade Waffles Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon optional
let's do it
- Carefully separate egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls, making sure that no yolks are in with the whites. Beat egg whites using a whisk until white and fluffy then set aside.
- Add milk and melted butter to bowl containing egg yolks then whisk to combine. Add sugar, salt and vanilla then stir until dissolved.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cinnamon over milk mixture then stir just until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites until completely combined and no streaks of egg whites remain. Set batter aside to rest for about 10 minutes while you preheat the waffle iron.
- Spray waffle iron lightly with non-stick spray then add batter to hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown and crispy. Serve hot from the waffle iron with any of your favorite accompaniments.