When we say lazy chicken enchiladas, we mean lazy chicken enchiladas. Do you really have the time to cook the filling, dip tortillas into enchilada sauce, and then roll and bake it all? Our casserole recipe is done in a single skillet!
Chopped cilantro and sliced green onion are the perfect toppings, but you can get creative with a dollop of cool sour cream or fresh guacamole…even sliced black olives or diced bell peppers. It’s all good.
We add salt at the very end because the canned tomatoes and enchilada sauce will have varying amounts, so you may not need any at all. Taste before you add any extra to prevent over salting. Enjoy!
One Pan Lazy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken tenderloins cut into ½" pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes with garlic diced
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn kernels frozen
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce hot, medium or mild
- 6 corn tortillas chopped or torn into ½" pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup Mexican cheese blend shredded
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
let's do it
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Add diced chicken tenders and cook 3–4 minutes until exterior of chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the diced onion and cook an additional 3–4 minutes until onion is softened and translucent.
- Add entire can of diced tomatoes, including juice, drained black beans, corn kernels, garlic powder, oregano and cumin and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a rapid simmer for 2–3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add entire can of enchilada sauce and chopped corn tortillas. Stir to combine and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 5–6 minutes or until hot and bubbly and tortillas break down and thicken sauce.
- Remove from heat and give casserole one last stir and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on shredded cheese and allow casserole to sit 5 minutes while cheese melts and sauce thickens up a bit more. Right before serving, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and sliced green onions.