This lemon blueberry bread recipe is yummy, sweet and tart! All you need are 15 minutes to prepare the ingredients and 45 to 55 minutes to bake. Basically, you can whip it up on the fly and use the remaining time to organize the closet or take the dogs for a walk.
Because this recipe is simple to make and exceptionally tasty, it’s a great breakfast bread to serve when you’re hosting company. The final product is so good-looking that it’s also a great way to showcase your talents the next time you need a hostess gift.
The secret to this moist cake is the soaking liquid. This is a simple trick for adding extra flavor and moisture to breads and cakes. Slice and devour!
Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
- 8 1/2 x 4 /12 x 2 1/2 bread pan, sprayed or lined with parchment paper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- zest of 2 medium lemons
- 1/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract, optional
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, defrosted
- 1 tsp flour, for dusting blueberries
- soaking liquid
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Spray or line bread pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add eggs and beat thoroughly. Scrape sides of bowl, mix in lemon juice, lemon zest and buttermilk.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to wet ingredients. Mix until just incorporated but do not over-mix. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Toss blueberries with additional 1 tsp flour until coated then fold them carefully into the batter. Transfer batter into prepared bread pan and smooth the top of batter.
- Bake 45−55 minutes until golden on top and tester comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan.
- Prepare soaking liquid by microwaving lemon juice and sugar just until hot (10-15 seconds). Stir to dissolve sugar completely.
- Poke holes in top of bread with toothpick or skewer and spoon liquid over warm bread. Allow the bread cool completely
- Stir together ingredients for glaze and add a drop of water or lemon juice if glaze is too thick. Pour glaze over cooled bread and allow to set (15-20 minutes). Slice and enjoy!
Make this recipe in cute, disposable foil pans when making hostess gifts!