Our linguine with roasted beet sauce is a delightful twist on an everyday pasta dish. This recipe is a great dish for vegetarians, who are tired of the same old pasta sauce. It’s also an elegant party entrée with its bright pop of color and full-bodied flavor.
This recipe calls for roasted beets, which can be tackled two ways: You can roast the beets ahead of time (we did ours the night before), or you can buy pre-roasted or canned beets at the store. You can’t go wrong either way—beets are super healthy and full of antioxidants!
To serve this dish, simply nest the linguini on individual serving plates and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil. The presentation is a vibrant red, immaculate tasting entrée—delish!
Linguine with roasted beet sauce recipe
what you'll need
- 2 medium beets stems and root cut off and scrubbed clean
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 gal water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb linguine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups pasta water
- 2 tsp basil
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rub beets with olive oil and place on baking sheet; roast about 1 hour, until toothpick comes out easily.
- Cool beets just enough so you can hold then rub skin off beets with paper towel and discard membrane. Dice beets into large chunks, set aside.
- Bring water to boil then add kosher salt then add linguini, stir occasionally.
- Strain pasta (cooked al dente), making sure to reserve 1½ cups pasta water, set both aside.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan then add beets. Sauté until beets start to get dark around edges. Add garlic, shallot and balsamic vinegar to sauté pan and sauté for 1 minute.
- Place ingredients from sauté pan and basil into food processor and blend until sauce is completely smooth.
- Place sauce back in sauté pan on low heat then add linguini then toss until pasta is evenly coated. Add reserved pasta water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve with a sprig of fresh basil and enjoy!