Enjoy a dose of comfort food while watching your waistline. Cauliflower comes to the dietary rescue in our low-carb cauliflower mash recipe! Cauliflower is available year round, and in turn makes this recipe as easy to serve alongside a Thanksgiving turkey as it is as a summer barbecue side dish.
At the market, choose fresh heads that are snowy white, compact and feel heavy in hand. At home, store your cauliflower in the refrigerator set with high relative humidity. Stored properly, the cauliflower will say fresh for almost a week.
Cauliflower is low in calories and has health-benefiting antioxidants and vitamins. The florets contain about two grams of dietary fiber per 100 grams. Cauliflower is rich with anti-cancer phytochemicals and plant sterols that appear to function as an anti-estrogen agent. In English, this means cauliflower has proven benefits against prostate, breast, cervical, colon and ovarian cancer by virtue of their cancer-cell growth inhibitors.
When serving low-carb cauliflower mash, top with butter and chopped chives to maximize the flavor. We promise, your taste buds will leap for joy, your tummy will be satisfied and you’ll breath a little easier in your skinny jeans.
Low-Carb Cauliflower Mash Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1 leek chopped, tops removed
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt plain
- chives chopped (for garnish)
let's do it
- Sauté leek with 1 Tbsp of butter until tender; set aside.
- Boil cauliflower until tender (about 6 minutes). Drain cauliflower well; pat dry between several layers of paper towels or clean dish towel to get the moisture out.
- Put hot cauliflower, leek, yogurt and 2 Tbsp butter in food processor, blend until smooth.
- Transfer to serving dish, top with butter and garnish with chives