Our meatball sub casserole recipe is a bonafide crowd pleaser and it could not be easier to make! We layered rustic Italian bread, fresh mozzarella cheese and savory meatballs to create a delicious dinner that comes together in no time at all.
We cut the bread into pieces then spread a layer of cream cheese and mozzarella on top of the breading to keep it from getting soggy during the baking process.
We chose Italian-style meatballs from the freezer section of the grocery store, which practically taste homemade, then topped off this dish with a fresh sprinkling of mozzarella, basil and oregano—bon appétit!
Meatball Sub Casserole Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 - 5 slices Italian bread or focaccia bread, 1" thick
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper flakes or red pepper flakes
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- 20 Italian-style meatballs defrosted
- 2 cups marinara sauce
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat inside of an 8" square casserole dish with olive oil. Cut bread into 1" cubes then arrange in an even layer in bottom of casserole dish, pressing into the pan to create a firm layer.
- Place cream cheese in a small microwave-safe bowl then heat for about 30 seconds, until very soft. Remove from microwave, stir until smooth. Add garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper then stir to combine. Spread cream cheese over bread using the back of a spoon to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of shredded mozzarella over the cream cheese layer, reserving the remaining cheese for topping. Distribute meatballs evenly across top of the bread and cheese layer then cover with marinara sauce. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake 40–45 minutes, until the sauce is hot and bubbly and meatballs are heated through. Remove foil, sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over the top then return to oven. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5–7 minutes—just long enough to melt the cheese.