Our classic homemade marinara sauce recipe is quickly and easily prepared, and tastes so much better than the jars you can buy at the store. Using fresh ingredients yields equal freshness and flavor, and you’ll feel good about giving it to your family.
You probably already have most of the ingredients needed in your pantry. You might need to shop for yellow onion and crushed tomatoes, although there’s a good chance you already have those too!
Essentially, all you need to do is sauté the onions, toss the remaining ingredients in the pan then let simmer for 45 minutes. Cook up some noodles, then bam! A simple dinner is table-ready in an hour or less.
Homemade Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a boil then immediately reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Add a little spice to your sauce with a dash of crushed red pepper flakes!