Multigrain Bread Recipe
Promote healthy eating this holiday season by baking homemade multigrain bread for your neighbors.
Our multigrain bread recipe has all the right ingredients to improve your eating habits—whole wheat flour (easily found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store), sunflower and sesame seeds, and quinoa, which has essential amino acids and is cholesterol-free.
Whole grains are not simply an easy way to get your daily fiber—they also decrease risks of diseases such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and hypertension.
Who knew a piece of multigrain bread that tastes this great has so many health benefits?
Multigrain Bread Recipe
- 1/4 cup flour
- cooking oil, or spray
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 oz active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water, 110-115 degrees
- 4 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 3/4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp uncooked quinoa
- tbsp eggwash, mix 1 Tbsp water and 1 egg in small bowl
- 1 9 x 5" loaf pan, non-stick
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Combine milk, salt, honey and butter in small saucepan bring to 115 degrees on stove top; set aside.
- Heat water to 110-115 degrees, pour into bowl; add yeast and let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture and yeast water into mixing bowl of stand mixer and mix using dough hook attachment until it begins to foam. Then mix in wheat flour and 3 c bread flour just until smooth ball forms (use remaining bread flour if dough is too sticky).
- Add oats, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and quinoa and mix until combined then place dough in bowl with small amount of oil on bottom. Roll dough to coat in oil then cover cover; let rest until double in size. (about 1 hour)
- Punch dough down then cover for 1 additional hour then punch down again and place onto lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough in half and form into 2 loaves. Place into loaf pan, crease side down into well-grease and floured pans.
- Let dough rise slightly for about 30 mins. then brush egg wash over loaves.
- Place loaf pans on center rack in oven and bake 7-10 minutes, opening the oven door every 2 minutes to spritz with water to proof bread (proofing makes the bread lighter).
- Turn oven up to 350 degrees continue baking 30 minutes or until golden brown.