Prepare a quick and easy dinner the whole family will love! This tender lemon chicken and rice recipe comes together in just one hour (that’s with prep and cook time), and you only have to use one pan!
No mess and it tastes good? We’re in! The convenience of this one pot recipe is just too difficult to pass up. Chicken thighs, basmati rice and frozen green beans simmered in spices and broth results in a dish that tastes as great as it looks.
Dark meat doesn’t get the stage it deserves. Trust us on this one and give it a try. You’ll be asking why you haven’t been using dark meat chicken all along.
One thing to keep in mind when preparing this recipe is to check the chicken temperature during the cooking process. If the chicken is below 165 degrees toward the end of your cook time, return the lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes. You don’t have to worry about the meat being overdone. Dark meat is forgiving!
One Pot Lemon Chicken and Rice
what you'll need
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp rosemary leaves, chopped (or 2 tsp dried rosemary, divided)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice or jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 zest of lemon
- 1 10 oz bag green beans frozen, rinsed under warm water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice from the zested lemon
let's do it
- Rinse chicken under cool water, blot completely dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken skin side down. Cook uncovered and undisturbed until the thighs turn golden brown—it’ll take about 5 minutes, so be patient. Carefully turn the chicken over and sprinkle 1 Tbsp of rosemary over cooked side.
- Once the chicken has cooked 3 minutes on the second side, remove it from the skillet and set aside. Remove all but 1 tsp of oil from the skillet then add minced garlic and remaining chopped rosemary. Cook approximately 1 minute, just until fragrant but not browned.
- Pour in broth and bouillon then stir until the bouillon has completely dissolved. Add the rice, stirring just until the rice has formed an even layer along the bottom of the skillet. Return the chicken to the pan, placing it on top of the rice. Sprinkle lemon zest over everything.
- Distribute the green beans evenly along the top of the dish, bring the liquid to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer 30–35 minutes—and don’t peek during this time!
- When the water has been completely absorbed by the rice and the chicken has cooked through, the dish is finished—if you have a meat thermometer, the internal temperature thighs should register 165 degrees.
- Transfer chicken to a platter and sprinkle with lemon juice. Fluff rice with a fork, mix with green beans then place around the chicken. Serve nice and hot!