Pasta e fagioli literally translates to “pasta with beans” and that’s exactly what this wholesome Italian soup is—a delightful combination of the two! There are many variations of this recipe, but this is one of our favorites.
Italian herbs are what really give this soup its authentic taste. If you can’t find canned crushed tomatoes with herbs, then just double up on the dried oregano, basil and thyme. Super easy.
Bon appetit amici!
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Pasta e Fagioli Soup Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced small
- 3 celery stalks diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 15 oz can red kidney beans drained
- 15 oz can cannellini beans drained
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups ditalini pasta 8 oz
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
let's do it
- Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Brown the ground beef, breaking the meat into small pieces with a spoon.
- Once the beef has browned, add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, kidney and cannellini beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add the oregano, basil, thyme and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Allow the soup to simmer for 1 hour, and then remove from the heat.
- About 15–20 minutes before you are ready to serve, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water according to the directions on the package. Drain the pasta thoroughly and stir it into the soup just prior to serving.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with plenty of Parmesan cheese and enjoy!