Pumpkin-flavored anything is not just for Thanksgiving! Celebrate a favorite taste of fall all year-round with our pumpkin bars recipe. They’re moist yet firm, making them a great dessert to slice and pass around on just a napkin—plus we love the light layer of homemade cream cheese frosting.
There are two types of canned pumpkin at the grocery store, but only one kind is suitable for this recipe. Make sure you purchase the canned pumpkin purée, and not the pumpkin pie mix. We add our own spice and everything nice to this recipe, so you want the plain Jane variety.
While we tout these as a dessert, we also suggest that you serve them for breakfast, much like you would a coffee cake. Just whip up your favorite morning brew, whether it be coffee or tea, and enjoy!
Pumpkin Bars Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 15 oz can pumpkin purée
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
cream cheese frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 10” x 15” jellyroll pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin purée and beat until completely combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt over the top of pumpkin mixture. Fold until thoroughly combined and spread evenly into prepared jellyroll pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or just until set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- When cake is completely cool, beat the cream cheese and butter together until completely smooth. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and beat again until perfectly smooth. Spread evenly over the cake. Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!