This will be your new favorite for a healthier substitute to fried chicken! Baked quinoa-crusted chicken is packed with protein for a meal that’s good and good for you.
It’s perfect for using up leftovers—a ½ cup of uncooked quinoa and 1 cup of water will yield exactly 1½ cups if you need to make it fresh. The baked “breading” may seem thick when it first goes on, but in the end you’re left with a coating that is perfectly satisfying—crunchy and light.
The best part about this recipe is that you can minimize cleanup time. No one likes extra dishes, so just wipe off the baking sheet after you’ve toasted the quinoa, spray it again, and use it to cook the chicken.
Baked Quinoa-Crusted Chicken Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup Romano cheese or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour gluten-free or all-purpose flour
let's do it
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray then place quinoa onto the baking sheet, spreading the grains into an even layer. Bake quinoa for 8–10 minutes, stirring once or twice, just to dry it out and toast it slightly. Remove from oven and then break up any clumps that may have formed. Set aside to cool.
- Rinse chicken under cool water and pat dry with paper towels, then season on both sides with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, stir together the toasted quinoa, Parmesan or Romano cheese, garlic powder and dried basil until completely combined.
- Gather three separate plates and then place flour (or gluten-free flour) on one plate, the beaten eggs on the second plate and toasted quinoa cheese mixture on the third. Wipe the baking sheet clean and then re-coat with cooking spray. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour then dip in beaten egg. Allow as much egg to drain off of the chicken as possible and then encrust the chicken completely with quinoa mixture. Place the coated chicken breasts on the baking sheet and spritz the top lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 18–22 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees on a meat thermometer. Remove from oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!