Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes
Our salted caramel chocolate cupcakes recipe is ridiculously delicious! Moist chocolate batter and light, fluffy homemade frosting come together to create a decadent treat your family will love.
Adjust the thickness of the frosting to your liking by adding the powdered sugar incrementally during the whipping process. Drizzle with caramel and hot fudge sauce then add a sprinkle of kosher salt on top of your frosted cupcakes for the perfect combination of salty and sweet!
This is a great sweet treat to whip up for a birthday or anniversary celebration. But you can also make them to celebrate life for a special weeknight surprise!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Bite into a piece of heaven with this decadent and moist salted caramel chocolate cupcakes recipe! They are the perfect birthday treat surprise.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water, boiling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, 1½ sticks
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, dark
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, plus more if needed
- chocolate sauce
- caramel sauce
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees then line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder until well combined and all of the lumps of flour and cocoa are smooth.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix together oil, milk, beaten egg and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into the larger bowl containing dry ingredients then stir until dry ingredients are just moistened then set aside.
- Heat water to boiling (microwave is fastest). Add boiling water to batter then stir carefully until completely combined. Pour batter into muffin tin, filling each cup about ¾ full.
- Bake 16–18 minutes or until center is barely firm and tops begin to achieve a ‘crackled’ look. Remove from oven then place on a rack to cool completely.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare frosting by placing a small saucepan over medium heat. Add butter, brown sugar and cream then heat just until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and salt then let mixture cool.
- Transfer cooled frosting mixture to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with whip attachment.
- Beat frosting mixture on low speed then add powdered sugar slowly in increments. Check consistency of frosting after all 3 cups have been added. Adjust frosting to desired thickness by beating in powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
- Top each cupcake with a bit of frosting, drizzle with chocolate and caramel sauce, if you like. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
If you love the salted caramel flavor mix, you should also try our lazy turtle tart!
Calories: 487kcal, Carbohydrates: 70g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 337mg, Potassium: 141mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 60g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!