Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
One of the best things about a slow cooker is that you can make an entire meal without a major mess! That’s definitely the case with this chicken burrito bowl.
It’s totally delicious, especially when you use our homemade cilantro lime rice.
We add lime juice after the long cooking process is done so that it brightens the flavor without making the chicken taste sour.
And it’s best to throw in the corn at the last minute, too. That way it will stay crisp and sweet. The dish is ready to serve as soon as the corn is warmed!
Watch our video on how to cook rice!
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or thighs or combination
- 2 cups salsa, chunky
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 cup corn, defrosted
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups steamed rice, approx. 2 cups of uncooked rice, or Chipotle lime rice
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- green onions, sliced
- tomatoes, diced
- Cut chicken breasts in half and add to slow cooker along with salsa, drained black beans, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6–7 hours or high for 3½–4 hours.
- After chicken is cooked, press chicken against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon or shred with a fork. The chicken should be very tender and shred easily.
- Add corn, cilantro and juice of ½ lime then stir to combine.
- Assemble the burrito bowl by starting with rice then heap plenty of the chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, sliced green onions and diced tomatoes. Serve with plenty of sour cream, guacamole and lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!