Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Stew
The ingredients for our slow cooker chipotle chicken stew come together in just 15 minutes, then, after a stint in the slow cooker, you’ll have a hearty, rich stew that you’ll love.
We started with about 2½ pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs. After trimming, we were left with only 2 pounds of meat—so you may want to buy a little extra.
This recipe filled our 4.5-quart slow cooker to the max. If you’re feeding a large group, this is the perfect amount. Otherwise, you’ll have plenty of leftovers to freeze for a rainy day.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Stew Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into ¾" cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 14.5 oz can diced petite tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon, or salt
- 1 Tbsp chipotles, in adobo sauce, (about 1–2finely chopped)
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped, fresh
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, garlic, potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the tomato paste, cumin, diced tomatoes (with juice), chicken broth, chicken bouillon and chopped chipotles until tomato paste and bouillon are completely dissolved.
- Pour chicken broth mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 7–8 hours, on high for 3½–4 hours, or until chicken and veggies are nice and tender.
- Before serving, stir in chopped cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. You could also add a little more chopped chipotle chili if you like it really spicy!
- Serve with additional chopped cilantro, lime wedges, grated cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions and warm tortillas, if desired.