You’re either going to want to invite the neighbors or be ready for leftovers. This slow cooker quinoa chicken chili makes enough to feed a crowd! Throw it together and let it simmer all day! How easy is that?
We used loads of black beans, green chilies, bell pepper and onion blended with an array of spices. But the real star of the show is quinoa—it thickens the chili and gives it a nice texture.
Just think! After running around all day, won’t it be nice to walk in the door and know dinner’s already made?
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 14 oz can diced petite tomatoes with green chiles
- 16 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 4.5 oz can green chilies diced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 2 large
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cool water. Add the quinoa and all remaining ingredients except tomato paste and salt and pepper into a 6-quart slow cooker. Cook for 6–7 hours on low or 4–5 hours on high.
- Approximately 1 hour before serving, remove chicken breasts and shred into small chunks. Add the tomato paste and shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir to dissolve the tomato paste. Allow the chili to cook for the remainder of the hour then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, such as grated cheese, sour cream, chopped avocados and tortilla chips.
One Last Thing