Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes
Slow cookers are our favorite way to have a delicious meal on the table as soon as we walk in the door at night. Plus, foods like slow cooker turkey Sloppy Joes stay warm until you’re ready to eat.
Now, slow cookers are really convenient but long cooking times can sometimes dampen flavors and make them less vibrant. But we’ve got a great remedy for that! Instead of salt, add a tasty zip with a splash of Worcestershire sauce or mustard.
This recipe filled our small 5-quart slow cooker to just under the halfway mark. You could easily double this recipe and still have plenty of room in the pot, especially if you’re using a larger cooker.
slow cooker turkey Sloppy Joes recipe
Ten minutes of prep time in the morning is all it takes to have a hearty meal of slow cooker turkey Sloppy Joes.
Yield: 8 -10 sandwiches
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Brown ground turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook 3 minutes or just until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Drain excess fat or liquid from the meat and transfer to slow cooker.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper and flour over the meat then stir to combine. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste then stir until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Cover and cook on low for 4–5 hours. Before serving, taste for seasoning. If the Sloppy Joe mixture needs a bit more salt, consider adding an additional dash of Worcestershire or squirt of mustard for added flavor. Serve Sloppy Joes on toasted buns topped with a little shredded cheese if desired. Enjoy!
Use ground beef or chicken for results that are just as great!
Calories: 313kcal, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 32g, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Sodium: 1144mg, Potassium: 528mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 6g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!