Spanish noodles, commonly known as fideo, have got to be included in your repertoire of side dishes.
It’s similar to Spanish rice but fideo pasta is thin with a completely different texture. It can usually be found in the ethnic or Latin food section of major supermarkets. If you can’t find it, simply use eight ounces of vermicelli noodles broken into small pieces.
A little bit of stirring and the noodles will cook quickly and become tender. The water should be absorbed for the most part, making the consistency perfect.
Spanish Noodles Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 8 oz bag fideo noodles broken into small pieces, or 2 cups vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon or vegetable bouillion
let's do it
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add noodles and stir constantly until the majority of noodles are golden brown—approximately 3 minutes.
- Add onion, celery or tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add water and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook at a rapid simmer for 5–6 minutes, stirring occasionally. When noodles are tender and water is mostly absorbed, remove from heat. Consistency should be loose, but not soupy.