Our sweet pea soup recipe does nothing but win—the ingredients are available year round, it’s easy to make, low in fat and makes an elegant dinner party presentation if you’re trying to ‘WOW’ company.
Spring peas are fresh and fabulous, while frozen petite peas are just as delicious and easy to find in the freezer section. We also managed to keep this soup flavorful and creamy using just a little butter and non-fat, plain Greek yogurt.
We had intended this dish as a starter course; however, our staff went so crazy for it in the test kitchen, we decided it can be gobbled up as a main course if you’re looking for a light meal.
Enjoy our sweet pea soup with a fresh sprinkling of finely chopped mint or croutons for the full gusto!
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Sweet Pea Soup Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 bunches green onions sliced, green and white parts
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb petite peas fresh or frozen
- 3 Tbsp Greek yogurt non-fat, plain
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then add diced onions, sliced green onions and salt. Cook about 5–6 minutes, until onion is tender and translucent.
- Add chicken broth then bring to a boil. Add peas then return to a boil. Allow fresh peas to boil for 5 minutes and boil frozen peas for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat then puree soup in a blender in batches or use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot.
- Stir in Greek yogurt and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a bit of finely chopped fresh mint, garlic croutons or a drizzle of high-quality olive oil.