Cheesy Turnips au Gratin Video
Low-carb crusaders rejoice! We’ve captured all the delicious comfort you’ve come to love in a standard potatoes au gratin recipe, but with only a fraction of those pesky carbohydrates. The secret? Lose those starchy potatoes and use hearty turnips instead to make the perfect turnips au gratin.
This savory side dish comes together in three easy steps. Just make your flavorful, creamy sauce, slice your turnips, and layer together with sprinkled cheese. Easy! You can even make it a day in advance; just make sure you give it enough time to reach room temperature before popping it in the oven.
Cheesy Turnips au Gratin Recipe
Turnips au gratin is a deliciously savory side with only a fraction of the carbs found in a more traditional potato dish!
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 lbs turnips, about 4–5 medium
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheese, Monterey Jack or Gruyere, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees then coat a 2-qt baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-heat then add cream, butter, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat. Let mixture rest while you prepare turnips. Trim root and stem end from each turnip then peel using a vegetable peeler. Use a sharp knife or a mandolin to slice each turnip into ⅛" thick slices and set aside.
- Layer ¼ of the sliced turnips into the bottom of the prepared baking dish by shingling the slices, then sprinkle ¼ of the cheese over the layer of turnips. Strain cream mixture to remove the garlic and thyme then pour ¼ of the cream evenly over the cheese. Repeat the process 3 more times with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover dish with foil, place on a baking sheet then bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil then bake for an additional 20–25 minutes, until the top is golden and the turnips are tender. Test doneness by inserting a paring knife into the center of the gratin. The turnips will feel slightly firm but not crunchy. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
If you're feeling adventures, mix in some diced green chilies for added zing!
Calories: 304kcal, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 89mg, Sodium: 538mg, Potassium: 291mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 5g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!