Bust out the bacon and shredded cheese—this recipe for twice-baked potatoes will have the family begging for seconds! The best part about this recipe is that it can be made in advance and baked just before it’s time to eat and still taste great.
We used Russet Burbank taters in this dish because they’re the perfect size to fit all of your choice ingredients. Don’t be timid—get creative with your favorite fixin’s like feta cheese and sundried tomatoes. You can’t go wrong with a combination of your very own!
Make this recipe as creamy or as chunky as you like. The key to this lip-smacking side dish is baking the potatoes until they’re ultra tender the first time around, which will take about an hour.
Of course, the best part of any twice-baked potato recipe is all of the ooey gooey cheese melted on top. Cheddar, Mexican, Monterey Jack and Mozzarella cheese are all great topping choices, just make sure to add it to the top during the last 5 minutes of baking.
Twice-Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Pierce each potato a couple of times with a fork and rub the entire surface with oil. Bake the potatoes until they are very tender (about 1 hour). Remove potatoes from the oven, leaving the oven set to 350 degrees.
- Trim off the top third of each potato. Use a kitchen towel to hold the potatoes to keep from burning your hands. Remove the flesh, place in a medium-sized mixing bowl then discard skin. Take the bottom of each potato then scoop out the flesh from the inside and place into the same mixing bowl. Leave enough flesh around the edges and bottom of the potato so that it will keep its form. Sprinkle the inside of each potato shell lightly with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Using a fork, mash the potato filling lightly. Add the butter and sour cream then stir until smooth. Stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper to taste. Fill the shells with the mashed potato mixture. There will be extra, so mound it slightly. Set the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until heated through (about 20 minutes).
- Sprinkle the tops of the potatoes with shredded cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking then remove from the oven when the cheese is completely melted. Garnish the twice baked potatoes with crispy bacon bits and a few more chives. Serve immediately and enjoy!