Looking for a fun and unique way to serve Mardi Gras cocktails? Our hurricane jello shots recipe tastes just like the New Orleans original—we’ve created a way to serve them with a lively twist on an old classic.
We love the results of the colorful layers topped with Maraschino cherries! This sweet and tasty drink is sure to be a crowd pleaser but be careful—the liquor will sneak up on you if you indulge in too many.
Our super simple directions require patience because the two layers of jello need to harden separately. We promise—it’s not a difficult recipe to prepare and the oohs and ahhs from the crowd are so worth it!
Once the layers of jello have set completely, cut into desired shapes and garnish with Maraschino cherries. To keep the cherries from sliding off the top of our jello shots, we use a melon baller to scoop a small divot from the surface of the shot then place the cherry on top!
hurricane jello shots recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 cup orange juice no pulp
- 3 oz orange gelatin
- 1 1/2 cup passion fruit flavored rum
- 1/4 oz envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups pineapple/orange juice blend or pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup grenadine
- maraschino cherries
let's do it
- For the first layer, heat dark rum and orange juice in medium saucepan until hot but not boiling then remove from heat. Add orange jello and stir until completely dissolved and pour into a 8" x 8" baking dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until completely set.
- To make the second layer, pour passion fruit rum into medium saucepan. sprinkle unflavored gelatin over surface and allow to soften 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir to dissolve gelatin completely. Heat mixture over medium heat until hot to the touch but NOT simmering. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Pour passion fruit mixture over orange layer, chill 2 hours or until firmly set.
- When ready to serve, cut into desired shapes and garnish with maraschino cherries. Serve cold.