This creamy classic custard pie is an elegant dessert that’s deliciously light and easy to make ahead of time.
Check out your pantry and fridge for the ingredients, as they are staples in most kitchens. It’s hard to believe that basics such as fresh eggs, pure vanilla extract, sugar, salt and whole milk are all that is necessary to make such a scrumptious dessert!
We realize that many families prefer skim milk rather than whole milk due to fat content and cholesterol, but this is one time an old-fashioned classic deserves old-fashioned ingredients. Life’s too short not to indulge every once in a while, right?
Serve this creamy custard pie all by itself or use fresh fruit or sauce as the perfect accompaniments. Whichever way you choose, it will be an exceptional note on which to end your family gathering.
Classic Custard Pie Recipe
- 1 pie crust, deep-dish store-bought
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 sprinkle nutmeg, cinnamon or mace
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl with vanilla, sugar and salt then stir in milk.
- Pour mixture through a strainer into an unbaked pie crust and sprinkle with your choice of spice.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 325 degrees and continue to bake for 50-55 minutes. The edges will be set but the center will still be wiggly. Do not allow filling to bubble.
- Chill 4 hours or overnight.
Be sure to use a deep-dish pie plate or you will have too much filling.