At first we were befuddled by the idea of putting carbs on carbs, but once we tackled the concept for our garlic bread spaghetti sandwich in the test kitchen, the recipe won over our hearts in an instant.
This dish is everything you love in your favorite Italian meal contained in a buttery, garlic vessel so you don’t even need a fork. Now that’s what we call winning!
This recipe is an innovative way to recycle leftovers, and the kids will love it. We had a healthy portion of leftover spaghetti in the test kitchen, and taste testers were left with a delicious lunch for an entire week. The flavor remained bright in the fridge for a few days, and you can just pop fresh French bread in the oven when it’s time to eat.
Melt a little cheese on top, then sprinkle with your favorite fresh or dried seasonings. We went with finely-chopped parsley this time, but we’re eager to try fresh basil and dried oregano!
Garlic Bread Spaghetti Sandwich Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely-diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz jar marinara sauce
- 4 cups spaghetti, cooked
- 1 loaf French bread
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef, salt and pepper. Brown the ground beef, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks until no pink remains. Drain excess grease.
- Add onion and garlic to the beef and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add entire jar of pizza sauce and stir to combine. Bring liquid to a bubble then remove from heat, add cooked spaghetti noodles, stir to combine, and set aside.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise and spread the inside of each half with softened butter. Sprinkle the buttered area with garlic salt and place on baking sheet buttered side up. Bake the garlic bread for 8 minutes, until just beginning to brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and heap the spaghetti mixture onto each half of the garlic bread. Sprinkle top of spaghetti with shredded mozzarella and return to oven for 10 minutes, just until cheese is melted and bubbly, and everything is hot and crispy.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley and cut into large pieces. Enjoy!
If you're short on time, pre-buttered and seasoned garlic bread can be found in the deli section of the supermarket!