From crispy carrots to soft wild rice, juicy tomatoes and peas, this green pea salad has got some serious texture!
We like bringing it to picnic potlucks because it feeds a large group and there’s no mayo in the recipe. You can set it outside and not worry about the sun.
This salad is really easy to make (only three steps!) and comes together quickly once the rice is cooled. Cooking your rice the night before will save you time pre-party.
And feel free to get creative with the recipe, too. Add some other veggies to the mix—we like artichoke hearts and olives—for even more flavor.
green pea salad with wild rice recipe
- 6 oz box long grain and wild rice
- 8 oz grape tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes, halved, about 1½ cups
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 14 oz bag petite peas, frozen, thawed and drained
- 1 cup carrots, grated, about 2 whole carrots
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the long grain and wild rice following directions on the box. Allow the rice to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the halved tomatoes, green onions, peas and carrots. Toss to combine. Add the cooled rice mixture and Italian dressing and lightly toss until the rice is evenly distributed and the dressing has coated all of the ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
If you need to cool your rice in a hurry, spread it into an even layer on a rimmed cookie sheet and pop it into the fridge for a few minutes after it stops steaming.