Tired of making the same old cookies? Surprise your friends this summer with something different. Our lime and basil sugar cookies combine the sweet, mild flavor of basil with the tart citrus zing of lime.
This cookie is a sweet treat best consumed with a bit of bubbly (think champagne margaritas or bourbon apple cider) instead of a glass of milk. Basil has wonderful notes of sweetness, but is so often used to make a fresh pesto rather than a cookie.
These cookies make a marvelous presentation with a generous sprinkle of lime zest on top. We guarantee these lime and basil sugar cookies will make your taste buds tingle and get you coming back to the plate for seconds and thirds!
Lime and Basil Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- zest of 2 limes, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy then mix in eggs until combined.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, lime zest and basil in a separate bowl then add to butter mixture.
- Scoop dough by heaping tablespoons and roll into balls. Place 2" apart on the prepared cookie sheet, gently pressing down the centers.
- Bake 10-12 minutes and allow to cool completely.
- To make the icing, combine powdered sugar, milk, butter and corn syrup. Mix until smooth then spread over cooled cookies. While the icing is wet, sprinkle with lime zest to garnish. Enjoy!
The unique flavor combination of basil and lime leaves a nice refreshing aftertaste!